Edmonton airport

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Greece a Year Ago

At this time last year I was in Greece. I flew from Saskatoon on May 31, nearly missing my plane because Air Canada had changed to flight to an earlier time and hadn’t done a good job of letting me know. Thanks to my friend, Barb, who gave me a ride, I made it!


Spent three nights at a lovely little hotel near the Acropolis and Agora. It was in a residential area, so I got to experience people walking around in the day time and evening, dogs barking, garbage trucks clanking in the early morning or late at night. At any rate, I didn’t get much sleep, but I didn’t care. I discovered local shops – a bakery, green grocer, confectionary, souvenir shop, and  actually ate only one restaurant meal. Got breakfast at the hotel and ate from the local shops otherwise.

Of course, I visited the Acropolis and Agora, as well as a museum. One day I took the Metro down to the tourist shopping area.

My last morning, I was lying awake about 5 am when my bed shook and hit the wall. Yes, there had been an earthquake, but it was north of the airport, some distance away. I flew off to Chania, on the north shore of Crete, later that day.
Spent that night in Chania and the next day met up with two writing instructors and another student to take a taxi along windy mountain roads to the south shore, then a boat to the village of Loutro. Six nights there for a writing course. Fabulous food, great company, turquoise water, interesting scenery to explore, and inspiring writing.

Back to Chania for a night and part of a day, giving me time to explore. I loved how the old and new were combined.
 

Then off on a Mercedes Benz bus along the north shore to Heraklion, the capital city. More exploration of this seaport and good food again. Then a day at Knossos, which I would love to have spent more time at, but holidays must end.

I tried to add more photos to this, but Google kept screwing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment